Saturday, August 11, 2012

10 Hours, One Way

When I planned this journey I looked up the distance between Copper Harbor and my hometown. Google Maps said 10 hours, via the Interstate. I did not, take the Interstate. It's taken a little over 4 days driving, with stops in Detroit, Port Austin, Paradise, Tahquamenon Falls, Crisp Point, Grand Marais, Munising, and Marquette. I did not see Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, other than one scenic overlook at sunset and every single campsite. Every single campsite
Was occupied.

So I kept driving. I was tired at 6. At 11 I stopped for dinner knowing it was just going to get worse if I kept driving. Finally at 1:30 AM I found a campsite so far from where I intended to stop I decided it wasn't worth going back. But I knew it was where I needed to be. When I pulled into the site the crescent moon was rising over the tree line, sharp, clear and perfectly reflected in the water of the lake I was camping beside. I have never in all my travels seen as many stars as I saw last night. And I *think* I saw the Little Dipper for the first time. First time.
I slept in until 10 AM. I made the decision to not be discouraged by the struggle yesterday. And had a beautiful day on the road, talked to some lovely people & swept the negativity about the gossip back home out of my mind.

No comments: