Monday, December 22, 2008

Lesson #2

There's a new cliche about how the Declaration of Independence promises life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but there is no promise of happiness, just the opprotunity to chase it. When I was younger I pushed to achieve certain things, because that is what I thought was expected of me, and I thought life was short, which it might be. I focused on worldly accomplishments, rather than living, and failed to appreciate the experiences laid before me.

I've learned there is no deadline for happiness.
I don't need to complete a list of tasks to achieve happiness.
Completing the list will not make me happy.
There is no guarantee for happiness.
Enjoy the pursuit of happiness, because the goal is undefined.

I'm not saying neglect all the things in your life you don't enjoy, like laundry, or piddly little tasks at work. If you don't do those things, they will weigh on you like the handicaps of Harrison Bergeron, limiting your enjoyment of the good stuff.

I've been told repeatedly this last year, I'm just a puppy, I'm still young, I have time to figure out what I want to do with my life, I don't need to DO anything but take care of my responsibilities and there is no deadline for happiness.

No comments: