Recipe Posting #1
Because I'm switching to pesce vegetarianism, I'm working on new recipes. With these bean burritos, I didn't miss the meat!
For 4 medium size burritos.
2/3 c of black beans (dried)
1/2 - 1 c hot sauce
4 flour or corn tortillas
1/2 c shredded cheese (mexi-blend, sharp cheddar, or your favorite soy based cheese)
1) Soak beans 24 hours (follow the directions on the package, sorting, rinsing, and all that) in 2 cups of water in a bowl with a tight fitting lid.
3) Rinse, transfer to a 2 quart pot, add 3 cups of water. Cook 3 hours on simmer (bubbly, but not boiling). When the beans smoosh easily on the roof of your mouth with your tongue, they're done.
4) Drain the water off. Stir in 1/8 - 1/4 c of your favorite hot sauce. Using the back of a large spoon, smoosh the beans. This is way yummier and healthier than re-fried black beans!
5) Warm up tortillas just enough to make them pliable. Place 1/4 of the beans in the center of you tortilla, in a nice rectangle. Place 1/8 c of cheese on top of the beans.
6) Fold the bottom up, then both sides, and roll into a tight roll. Finished burritos can be placed in a freezer bag and frozen for later use, or serve right away.
7) To serve, either microwave with 1/8-1/4 c of enchilada sauce over top, for 45 seconds if thawed, 2 minutes if frozen (times vary by microwave); microwave same way without enchilada sauce, or if your diet allows, microwave, then deep fry for 30 secs (15 on each side).