Sunday, March 18, 2012

Quitting the Scene (or Letting My Inner Bitch Shine!)

I have a confession. I... I was RAISED, to be, a DIY'er. Every Monday night of the school year was spent at church, with a group of similarly aged girls learning about the Bible and (useless) crafting skills. An eight year old has ZERO purpose for a wooden candlestick holder decorated with lace & baby's breath. Zero. Purpose. Along with painting knick knacks I learned basket weaving, how to paint t-shirts and canvas shoes, pillowcase decorating, and a variety of other skills I needed to be a dutiful housewife. Merit badges included cross stitch, latch hook (rug making) and baking, cake decorating. I also learned how to sew, knit, crochet (an art lost on me).
I was the kid who took classes in the summertime, including woodworking and small engine repair. In order to have an advantage on college applications. Or so I thought. I have books on jewelry making, pottery, and drawing techniques.
I'm not against Doing It Yourself. If you want to spend your spare time making your own sushi, painting faux finishes all over your wall, and making all your children's clothes MORE POWER TO YOU. I will no longer be sucked in. Like baby making, just because I can does not mean I should. I appreciate hand made items, that are on the high end of the quality scale.
Confession: I've ordered items from etsy and been less than impressed. True story. Sad, I know.
Statement for posterity: Like baby making, just because you can doesn't mean you should. And UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY GOOD AT YOUR CHOSEN CRAFT PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SELL YOUR WORK TO HAPLESS FOOLS. You deserve the bad reviews you get.
So I hereby declare: If I can pay someone to complete the craft for me in a more adept manner, I will. I will not attempt to learn the finer points of container gardening, but will instead buy terrariums for my home. I'm not making myself clothes I don't need any longer. I will buy baby gifts for non-family members.
Why? Because I can! I don't work 60+ hours a week to have to angst about 100 and 1! projects in various stages of completion at home. From now on, I will ask myself 'Do I need this?' 'Do I need to do this for myself?' and 'Can I pay someone else to do this for me?' before I start another project.
In addition, I will not volunteer to help you with your hapless attempts at homemade stuff. No more sewing nights with people who don't know how to sew. No more candle making, soap making, or 'It's easy, I'd love to show you how!' NO MORE!
From this day forth, I will focus my energy on my fine art (because I am skilled (see that word, it is important)) and will only knit and see items I cannot find or that have sentimental value.
There, I said it.

No comments: