Saturday, August 4, 2012

How to Pack for a Road Trip Part 3

The Dry Tote

There are some supplies one might need for car camping that are conveniences afforded by not having to haul everything on your back. My sister, a pop-up camper, lent me her camp stove. That is packed on the floor of the front seat where it can't be jostled. To be able to cook with that I needed some supplies that were easier to gather in town.

First of I need fuel, 2 small propane tanks. And a way to light the stove. Camping matches are tucked in a dry box with fire starter. Because I'm not planning on trying to impress anyone with my fire building skills. (Log
cabin style with lots of kindling and room for air.)

This box is also a good place for:
Insect repellant
Sunscreen
Trash bags
A small pot
Laundry soap
Dish soap
Rope
A bowl
Wet wipes
Spatula
Tongs
Griddle
Small pot
Trash bags
Flatware

Food Tote
I'm packing light for a 10 day trip. One of the goals of this trip is to experience my home state, and my home state has some amazing food, and summer fruits and veggies are being harvested.
Michigan is also the great beer state, so if I'm near a brewery I'll probably stop. And I love mom & pop diners, so I'm going to treat myself to a couple meals out.

So right now my food tote contains:
1 lb of pasta
2 jars of homemade pasta sauce
8 oz of coffee grounds
1 package instant oatmeal
1 box of cereal
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 loaf of bread
8 oz of wasabi beans
Small French press

To complement this assortment of food in the cooler will be:
1 jar of homemade apple butter
Dozen eggs
Butter
Parmesan Cheese
Orange juice
3 jars of cold brew coffee in process

I'm leaving room in the cooler for 22 oz bottles I hope to collect at the breweries.

No comments: